Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hello Kitty, YOU ROCK!



Hello Kitty made her 1st appearance as a decoration on a vinyl coin purse produced in Japan in 1974 by the company Sanrio. According to her website biography, Kitty's full name is Kitty White and she resides in London. She is good at making cookies, and she collects cute small things like candy, stars and goldfish. I'll admit it, I think she is pretty fabulous, hopelessly adorable and has incredible style. Last Sunday, I attended Japantown's Cherry Blossom Festival Parade here in San Francisco. Parades are fun but this one was meaningful. I wanted to go specifically to leave a contribution for the Northern Japan Earthquake Relief Fund. I had no idea Hello Kitty herself was going to make an appearance in the parade. I was thrilled when she rode by in a red convertible. For a second, I felt like a giggly 8 yo and could not resist screaming «Hello Kitty - YOU ROCK!» that's when she turned around to where I was standing and actually flashed me a peace sign ! (see photo). I love Japan, and although I have never visited that beautiful cherry blossom country, it's close to my heart. Here's to Hello Kitty and everything wonderful about Japan. Hoping for a speedy recovery and my prayers go out for the families of victims of the devastating tsunami and earthquake.
You can make a donation at this website:
http://www.jcccnc.org/giving/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment