Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fond of fonts forever

Sometimes I wonder when did I start my obsession for typefaces. Maybe it was when I started to watch Batman on TV with the opening credits. Or flipping through my first Tintin bande dessinée album (Le Lotus Bleu). Not sure. It has never stopped and I am reminded of this amazement for typography everyday. I am surrounded in California by
« font treasures » that have gone by but still persist with the test of time - and weather.
We get to visit LA at least twice a year and it's a real treat for me. I get shivers (in a good way) when we drive by The Beverly Hills Hotel sign. Such grace, beauty, originality yet simplicity. I am grateful for all these «signage artists» for leaving us with national treasures. My only disappointment (and worst fear) is that I am not going to be around when it's time to chose the font for my own tombstone. Better not be HOBO.

No comments:

Post a Comment