Friday, April 23, 2010

New and improved, with LESS flavor

The postman had a surprise for me this morning, my first re-designed issue of Bloomberg Business-week magazine. My first reaction was OMG: the logo has become anorexic! Light, small, colorless....set in Helvetica? No offense Crate&Barrel, AmericanAirlines, American Apparel, Jeep, Toyota, Post-it, but for a magazine? Nooooo. As I flipped through the pages I noticed a lot less photos, and illustrations (save some $$?). Before I made up my mind wether I like the overall change, I decided to read the Editor's Letter (written by Josh Tyrangiel, Editor). He mentions how no one in the 4.7 million readers has written to demand a re-design. And that no one had felt the need to critique our fonts (not even yours truly) Well, if it ain't broke why fix it, right? BUT then I read the following quote by Creative Director Richard Turley, responsible for the re-design : «Design is best when you don't know it's there - we want the journalism to speak loudest» I stopped breathing and turned purple a little. Au contraire mon frère, journalism and visual together is a perfect match! I have been fighting this cause for many years. One doesn't go without the other. Just like: salt & pepper, sweet n' sour, pasta & tomato sauce! Anybody out there agree with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment